We try…we really try…to eat healthier that is. With a family of six it can be so easy to fall back into old habits when we are pressed for time or just can’t come up with something new. But food allergies and sensitivities wreck havoc on too many tummies in our home not to eat as best we can. Ultimately someone pays the price with an upset tummy or skin rash if we give into old habits and don’t eat clean.
With the temperatures dropping outside we are looking for warm foods that feel good to the belly. This clean version of chili hits the spot. It provides a great source of protein with just the right ingredients.
This recipe can be altered to accommodate your family’s preferences. Don’t like peas…leave them out. Don’t like corn…leave it out. It will be just as yummy!
This recipe can be made a head of time and warmed up on those busy nights when you are scrambling to get out the door to activities.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Cup corn
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 Cup pinto beans
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp pepper
- 1/2 Cup frozen peas
- Cilantro to garnish
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan on medium heat.
- Add in the corn and cook until kernels start to brown but do not burn.
- In a separate saucepan cook the turkey.
- Transfer ground turkey to the other saucepan.
- Add in the beans then add in all the seasonings.
- Stir and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add in the peas and cover with lid to let steam.
- Mix everything together and serve.
- Add sweet potatoes, corn, peas, and cilantro on top to garnish.
What is your favorite meal when the temperatures cool off?